BOKO HARAM: Embattled Senator Pleads No-Case Submission
AS the lingering terrorism case continues, the immediate past Senate Leader, Ali Ndume, yesterday told the Federal High Court, Abuja, that he had no case to answer in the alleged sponsorship of terrorism charge leveled against him by the Federal Government.
The embattled Senator told Justice Gabriel Kolawole that the government had not in anyway established a prima facie case against him or linked him with any crime. In a no-case submission argued by his counsel, Rickey Tarfa (SAN), Ndume insisted that the charges brought against him by the government has not been proved beyond reasonable doubt as required by law at the end of the prosecution case.
Ndume admitted that he had contact with the dreaded Boko Haram sect and that the contact came into being when he was appointed into presidential committee on security matters by the government to negotiate for peace with the terrorist group.
He maintained that the charges against him were unjust and unfair because he passed the report of his contact with the terrorists to the then Vice President Namadi Sambo and the then Director-General of Department of State Services (DSS).
Ndume further told the court that the charge of failure to disclose information on the workings of Boko Haram could not be sustained against him because the prosecution did not link any evidence to that effect.
He, therefore, asked the court to strike out the charges against Ndume on the ground that no prima facie case had been established against him to warrant his going to defend himself.
But the prosecution counsel, Grace Okafor, urged the court to compel Ndume to open his defence in the charges against him on the account that the Federal Government witnesses have effectively linked him with the crime.
The case has been adjourned for ruling till July 4, 2017.